Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Restyle # 4 - Linen Wrap Dress

So I finished the restyle on this linen wrap dress. (The one in which I looked like a sack of King Edwards..).  I basically dismantled the bodice and skirt from the waist belt, used the belt to create a fixed waistband, then re-attached the skirt and bodice, shortened the sleeves and added in a nautical inspired insert at the neckline to cover my modesty! (Does anyone else have cleavage overload in a wrap dress??!). The overall effect is still of a wrap dress (despite it the style causing me problems I still like it and wanted to find a way to make it work for me) but the "wrap element" is now fixed and the dress  just pulls over my head with no gaping at the bosom where it once did. Much more practical. So here it is now...
I'm undecided as to how I feel about the result. I rushed this one a couple of times when I was "sewing against the clock" and ended up making sloppy mistakes which ultimately meant it took alot longer than it would have done. I misjudged the waistband sizing and ended up having to take a large (ish) tuck out of the waistband because it was too big. 
I then created a little half belt (from the leftover belt) to cover my mistake, and secured it with vintage sailor's buttons that I'd thrifted a couple of weeks back. It's actually a detail I ended up quite liking (the half belt, not the tuck) but it was poorly executed on my part and a wee bit slap dash. Also, having "road tested" the dress today at college, I remembered why I have noooo linen at all in my wardrobe. It ends up looking so scruffy by the end of the day. I for one, need no extra help to look scruffy. I'm one of those people that can leave the house looking fairly tidy, and by the time I get to where I'm going I look as if I've I've been set upon my mad hair pulling, clothes crumpling harpies. So I'm not sure how much I'll wear this in reality. Maybe just for chilling in the garden in the summer....

3 comments :

  1. What a lovely bit of upcycling and I TOTALLLLLY know what you mean about 'cleavage overload'. I made a wrap over dress and thought I looked pretty cool until a lady at church said 'you putting on weight' as you can guess the dress is now at the back of my wardrobe.
    Enjoy your upcycling.
    Beverley xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge improvement to the dress, I hope you do get some wear out of it. No idea what cleavage overload is like, ass overload I got in buckets...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Beverley! What a diplomatic lady you met at church, lol!

    Sarah, stop it! ;)

    Px

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line...