It's been pretty manic around here this last week. The big news is that J has got a job! It means we should hopefully start having a normal family life for the first time since the Little Tornado was born. It's actually a bigger deal than I can ever express here. Relief and excitement all rolled into one. But that's another post altogether!
Last night found me hemming J's new suit trousers. I'd never done this before and was a little trepidatious about cutting into something he'd just bought new from a shop, so I took my time, and overall it's a pretty good result. So I thought I'd share my processes here:
1. I began by looking at how the existing hem was constructed. These trousers had a simple overlocked raw edge and heel tape. You know the kind. It reinforces the hem where it rubs against the shoe and stops the fabric wearing thin in this area.. (Anyone know the correct term? I'm just guessing!) Essentially I wanted to copy this construction, just further up the leg.2. I got J to put the trousers on inside out (I got a funny look at this stage. He soooo doesn't get it!) and wearing the shoes he would be wearing. I then pinned the hems up so the trousers were the desired length, lining up the side seams, and ensuring the new hem skimmed the sole of his shoe at the back. Basically, a few milimetres above the base of his shoe so the hem wouldn't be dragging on the ground. I made a note of how much length I had taken up. (3.5 inches)
2. I then measured how much seam allowance the original hem had by measuring up from the overlocked edge to the original hem fold, and noted this measurement too. (Approx 2.5inches)
1. I marked a line 3.5" from the original hem fold to indicate the new hemline. Then I marked another line 2.5" from this line to indicate the new cutting line...
2. ...and cut...!
1. The hem fold
2. The heel tape basted in place.
3. The "overlocked"edge of the hem allowance
I machine stitched along both edges of the heel tape, all the way around each trouser leg, using a straight stitch.
2. The finished article, with the hems turned in and hand stitched in place. (Hopefully with barely visible stitches on the right side!)
Probably the only thing I'd do differently is to buy an overlocker!! The overlock stitch on my regular machine is fine, but I'm starting to find myself craving a more professional finish....