Friday, February 18, 2011

Thrifty Finds # 12 - Aaargh, to keep or sell??

My thrifting trips these days are a combination of purchases to keep, and purchases to sell on. I usually know as I  buy something, whether it's for me/us, or whether I intend to sell it on. But occasionally I'll throw myself a curve ball (just to be awkward) and buy something with the intention of selling it, and then go and fall in love with it....

This is one such instance. I adore the styling on this vintage American Tourister vanity case, almost as much as I love the olive green colour. The clasp mechanism is really quirky, the quilted lining is just scrumptious.

So the angel on my shoulder is saying this: "considering I don't travel  a great deal, can I really justify keeping it,when selling it would contribute to the greater good of the family budget"

The naughty little devil on my other shoulder is saying this: " Awwww, it WAS very cheap (and I mean VERY cheap) and you'll never find another one like this, you know. What's the harm? You're putting plenty of other things in the shop. If you love it, have it. Perks of the job, surely?..."

Both reasonable arguments, I think you'll agree (The devil on my shoulder always does more talking than the angel too. That says something about me, I'm sure. Hmmmm.) You can see my dilemma though?

What would you do???

8 comments :

  1. I think if you can fill it with make up & beauty creams etc you can justify keeping it as "storage to keep things tidy"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a keep! If you don't travel a lot you could use it as pretty storage for items that aren't that pretty. You could always sell it later if you decided it doesn't work for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh I practically shouted "American Tourister!" when I saw those pictures. What a great piece. Tough call! I don't think I'd ever be able to resell things, I'd always want to keep everything for myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh...Keep, keep! The flip side is, you can keep it until you're not QUITE as in love with it and sell it later.... ;-)
    I love a pretty train case. I don't travel either, but I have one that houses my beads and crystals for costuming. Just find a new purpose for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes; I see the dilemma. ;) Truly though, you could do more than just use it for traveling. It'd make a great storage container!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would keep it. Mostly because I bought one that's similar (same brand) on Etsy for $40 to hold my sewing supplies. It works great for me. It sits on a stool next to my cutting table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you can always sell stuff that you know doesn't fit or work for you. It's okay to keep thrifted finds you like once in a while! Don't listen to me though- I do it far too much! That is a very pretty case!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Practical advice - if you can really see yourself using (even if not for its intended purpose, perhaps a notions box for your sewing stuff) then its a keeper! But if you want to keep it and know it will find its way into a closet or box in the basement, then it is a must sell. Best of luck with a tough decision.

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line...