Friday, February 04, 2011

Thrifty Finds # 9 - and a little announcement...

I have had a very busy and successful week of thrifting this week. I have totally indulged my every thrifting whim (even the stuff that doesn't fit me!) but I have done so guilt free, for a very particular reason...
Since I started blogging about my thrifting adventures, it's kinda re-awakened my obsession. I don't think I've mentioned on here before, but I used to buy and sell vintage clothing on Ebay. Back in the day. Pre Little Tornado. Pre Blog. I left paid work to concentrate on selling full time. Within a few months J had joined me. We were doing pretty well...really well. Then I fell pregnant and J fell ill...and that was the end of that...
Until now. I've come to a decision to start doing what I love again. It's largely thanks to this blog and you lovely people that I'm rediscovering my self belief after what has been a tough couple of years, (I won't bore you with the details!) that really knocked the stuffing out of me. I feel like I'm back. Do you know what I mean by that? Soooo......the big announcement....I've decided to launch an Etsy shop, selling some of my thrifted vintage treasures. Nothing fancy. No delusions of grandeur. Just stuff I come across, that I love, that I think someone else might love too...

I've been busy loading loads of treasures into my new shop! Details very soon...!

13 comments :

  1. Congrats on your decision to pursue something you really love! You obviously have a great eye for that kind of thing. I look forward to seeing what you have to bring to your store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you! You have to follow your dreams or you will regret it a few years down the track. I can't wait to see your new shop. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing something you love always adds to the quality of life. I'm excited to see what delightful treasures you come across :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay good for you! You find such lovely things, cant wait to see the store =D
    Hayley x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What excellent news, good luck with all the prep and so on. Your pictures look amazing, do you have a light box? Oooh, don't forget to let us know when your shop's live ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great news! I'm looking forward to it:) I enjoy shopping vintage shoes, accessories, and bag online:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I looks forward to perusing your shop, you have brilliant taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, thank you so much ladies! I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less than total encouragement and support from such an inspirational lot as yourselves!
    Portia
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marie, re photography: Thank you so much for the compliment. I've been messing around with my pictures alot and doing alot of research online to try and get them looking "Etsy worthy"... My current set up is much simpler than even a lightbox. It's situated right next to a North facing window so there's plenty of natural daylight but no direct sunlight. So I don't use a flash.
    The backgroud/foreground are sheets of white furniture backing board (picked up from Wickes for under a fiver each).
    Close ups are taken using the Macro setting on my Finepix digital compact. A simple point and shoot.
    I've yet to see what I can achieve with my SLR (a Canon EOS),but it's been fun trying out different techniques so far, so I shall probably continue exploring!
    I've been using picnik.com for photo editing. It's great fun!
    Hope that answers your question!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the selling, I'm sure it'll go well - we've all enjoyed looking at your finds these past few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the photography tips Portia, really useful stuff for me to think about!xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's great! It's wonderful when your passion can be your employment as well- and it allows you the flexibility to be with that little cutie of yours! Good for you! I hope you find tons of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, congratulations! I can't wait to see the lovely items you list.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...

Blogging tips