Thursday, March 24, 2011

Colette Palette Challenge # 4 - Yep, late again!

I have been remiss in making absolutely no progress at all on sewing my Colette Palette items. Then a couple of days ago, a step in the right direction arrived in the mail...

I bought this from Sunni's Etsy shop (aka The Cupcake Goddess). I love buying things from Etsy as they always come wrapped with nice little touches. (Thanks Sunni!) Incidentally, Sunni is hosting a pretty amazing giveaway on her blog. If you haven't seen it already, pop over and take a peek...

Anyway, I plan to adapt these trousers with a slightly experimental pattern alteration.  I am clearly not a size 10, but I have a plan! These trousers are almost exactly what I wanted except they are several (ahem) inches too small at the waist for me and truthfully a wee bit tooooo flared even for a 70's child like me. (oops, giving away my oldness there!)

I figure, if I slash straight down each pattern piece (sounds vicious I know) I can open up some room at the waist whilst simultaneously closing off some of the flare at the bottom. Does that make sense? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

To me, the pattern pieces are pretty simplistic and I've sat and scratched my head and can't see any obvious pitfalls to this particular idea. Can you?? As long as I take account of darts etc....I'm prone to over simplifying things in my head and can sometimes get caught out. So any feedback from those more sensible than myself would be greatly appreciated....
Anyhow, I have loads of stuff coming up over the next 48 hrs or so. Including photos of this restyle, finished (yes Abi, finally)!! More thrifty finds, new stuff being added to the shop and...(I'm very excited) the first post related to the "Draftalong" mentioned here. There was a decent amount of interest, so I've decided "what the heck" and I'm going ahead with it. Yay! (Aaargh!)
Hope you and yours are well and happy :)
Pxxx

9 comments :

  1. ... or just wear them upside down?! ;)
    I think your plan could work. Remember to make the waistband longer too, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably COULD get one of those trouser hems around my waist!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun pattern - one more thing to take into consideration is your bum. Not sure exactly how these pants are fitted, but in addition to to creating waist room, be sure that the seat of the pants doesn't ride too high - or you will be wearing a permanent wedgie. (I learned this the difficult way making pajama bottoms for a friend).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very good point Annabelle. We covered crotch/rise measurements at college soI'll be sure to check that, thanks!
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank goodness my internet is back on! I had to comment on your beautiful rose refashion with my iPhone, which is a PITA! But it is beautiful!Sorry if I came across as pushy in wanting to see your finished dress, but it is only because I am a bit pushy ;) And I can't wait to see what you do with this pattern. I like the blouse a lot too! Oh, and I'd really like to follow along with your draft-a-long, but I may not be able to keep up. We'll see :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Abi! That is a PITA indeed! (I like that acronym, never heard that one before!) Thankyou so much for your lovely comments on Smudgy Roses. A bit pushy (which you're not at all by the way, but if you were..)is actually a good thing because I often need a KUTA (Kick Up The Ass ;)
    The draftalong will be very leisurely I promise!
    Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and yes, I keep looking at that top too...didn't even notice it when I bought the pattern but I keep looking at it and thinking, hmmmm......definite potential there
    Px

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Portia,
    your slashing plan sounds good - only thing i'd suggest (if you are going to keep the hem intact during the cutting) is to check the circumference of the hem because if its wider than you want it to be, widening the top half of the trousers is only going to proportionately reduce the flare - does that make sense?! i hope so!
    (if you're going to cut through the hem as well, then my comment won't apply - as i realised after typing!)
    best of luck with it though!
    oh and i LOVE your smudgy rose refashion :))
    louise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Louise
    Yes, was going to slash all the way down and through the hem, then overlap the pattern pieces at the hem and pivot it to open up the waist. I'll have to true up the hem line and waist of course but I'm hoping it won't throw them out too much. Failing that I'll just slash and spread the more conventional way and take some of flare from the sides. It all sounds fine in my head, lol!! Probably total disaster in reality. ;)
    Px

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...

Blogging tips