Thursday, March 24, 2011

Restyle # 10 - Smudgy Roses

Finally I've finished this restyle!! It was all going swimmingly until I got to the collar...Why I thought it would be easy I don't know. I've never made anything with a collar before,let alone draft my own. But being the eternal optomist that I am (most of the time) I gave it my best shot and this is what happened (eventually!!)...
 There are elements of this dress that I am really really pleased with. I really like the way the fabric works with the new design. I think the contrasting collar and bias binding really work well with the print...
I prefer the new buttons...
This hemming tape around the inside of the collar hides a multitude of sewing sins. But check out my hand stitching! Now that I am pleased with...
The collar needs some fine tuning but considering it's my first, and it's self drafted, not too shabby really...I used the piece of existing collar that I had removed to trace the correct curve for the neckline then  played around with the shape of the outer curve and added seam allowances...
I played around with drafting different sized collars, trying them out to see which looked best....
There are lots of elements that are a bit of a bodge up as well. But I'll spare you those for the moment because I don't want to be negative at all about this restyle. I actually feel really happy with it.  Anything that didn't go perfectly this time, well, I'll just make sure it goes better next time. As to whether I'll actually wear this out (I spent half the day in it at home! It's so comfy)..it fits..it looks ok...it does feel a little bit girly for me...but for the right occasion, hell, why not!!

I learnt a heck of a lot from this particular project and will be able to use elements of this dress as evidence for the qualification I am taking at college. I shall definately be using the hand finished hemming tape on future project as it's satisfying to do and provided a really nice finish. Something that I'm keen to improve on in my sewing. I shall also be on the lookout for more two pieces to turn into dresses.  :)


26 comments :

  1. It looks fab!! You've done a fantastic job :) I wish I had the skills and talent to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow and more WOW you are one clever girl - you make me want to get back in the saddle and start sewing again. I just love it.... I want it.....But seriously it is so clever. Well done that girl give her a cheer.
    Take care, keep safe, be happy
    Beverley xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a positively gorgeous restyle. I am soooooo impressed that you saw the dress you made in the original two piece! That takes talent and creativity, and you've got both in scores! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an amazing refashion!!! You've given this dress a second life--it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very clever! looks great! xoxo Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came from Sew Retro... This is so great! I love it! I am only just barely stopping myself from heading off to the thrift store for a horrible dress to restyle. I'll go tomorrow! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Portia, how on earth did you manage to envision such a fab dress when you saw the two-piece? Really, it look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness this beautiful print in lovely colours will again give people pleasure.

    This is really worth the effort. The black trim is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Portia, I love that you are an optimist - and look what lovely results it makes! The contrasting collar and bias binding are great touches. Looks like a fun dress to wear, I'm sure the right occasion for this dress will come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent! can't believe it's the same dress refashioned! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so fun!!! Great job, I am super impressed (and inspired to dig out a few dresses from my closet)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely Fabulous makeover. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Such a pretty refashion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that is so CUTE! I love it! found you through sew retro.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's totally delightful! I love the collar and actually I think you did a fabulous job with it! It really does look great!

    xoxo,
    Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  16. Crikey! Thankyou everyone! I went to bed last night after publishing this post, and then woke up this morning to all your lovely comments. Not a bad way to start the day at all! You lot are awesome. Better than coffee (well almost) to start the day with!
    Pxxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an incredible refashion - I envy your talent for reimagining things - if I had seen that original outfit, I would have totally lacked the vision to see anything else in it! I love what you've done - and I think the black collar and binding sets off the print really well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Portia its fab - Well done and I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Over here from Sew Retro. I would have never thought the original dress could turn into something this cute! Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done! It was totally worth the time and constant collar angst! Its is really cute, and was made from such a hideous fist garment! The collar really pulls out the contrast in the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. this looks gorgeous! and congrats for the interview linked above!
    i agree about the contrast colour and binding! it looks ten times better. and your first collar is not nearly as bad as my first collar on a garment i just finished. eek!
    meg xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful transformation. It looks like a lot of work but what a great result. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful job. Your use of black as an accent really freshens that dress!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line...