Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Top Draftalong # 14 - Transferring Toile Markings

Ok. So right now, if we're on the same page, You should have 3 toile pieces. A Front/Back cut as one piece then the other side cut as 2 pieces. You'll either have seam allowance all the way round each piece, or, (if you're a corner cutter like me!) seam allowance added to the side and shoulder seams only. I'm taking a little detour from the instructions in the book for the next couple of posts. (I know, totally out of character). I wanted to cover a couple of bits that the book doesn't touch on, but that I feel, from past experience, would be beneficial. For this post I wanted to make some points on marking the toile.  We traced around the block pattern, transferred the pattern markings, then drew in our seam allowance. However, since we cut one piece on the fold and the other in duplicate out of a double layer of calico, only half our toile/muslin has the pattern markings. We now need to transfer the markings to the blank/duplicate parts of the toile/muslin.

X marks the side with the original tracing of the block pattern. Y marks the blank side where I've transferred over the dart and waistline makings...
I used this simple technique to transfer the points of the dart....With your toile piece(s) folded/doubled up, stick a pin through the point you want to transfer to the other side (make sure the pin is square to/at right angles to the fabric)....
 Turn the fabric pieces over and mark where the pin comes through....
 Repeat for each of the dart and waistline points....
 Then join them all up with a ruler...
Repeat this process on the back piece(s) then mark each toile piece with the amount of seam allowance, Centre Back, Centre Front etc...(Believe me, you may forget how much seam allowance you added in a couple of weeks once a few more lines are drawn onto this toile ;)
I'll be right back with the next post....
Px

2 comments :

  1. Portia, I am so behind! My husband just brought printer paper. I ran out while printing the bodice. Living in the country in great until you need to get to the store. I hope to catch up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, fear not lovely lady! There are a lot of posts here for very little actual work. Don't feel you have to keep up, just do it when you want to. The posts aren't going anywhere. Besides, you'll be suprised how quickly this all goes together :)
    Px

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...

Blogging tips