Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Refashioners - Dixie (Part II)

This shirt design was a sketch I made of a friend's top but never got around to making it. Her shirt was pink with a sheer animal print in the centre front and centre back. In my version I used some pink poly crepe and built my own pattern using a basic block and adjusting it where necessary.

It has gathers at the front shoulder, cuffs on the sleeves and the bottom side pieces wrap around from front to back. I top stitched my seams for a little extra touch.
I didn't have enough fabric for the long piece ont he back of the shirt so I joined three smaller pieces together. I was determined to get the most out of that skirt fabric! I'm even saving the lining from the skirt so I can use it for a lining for something else in the future.
I even made a downloadable PDF version of my shirt pattern - I'm calling it "The Portia Top". You can click here to download it for free. it's in 5 sizes. Be sure to print it without scaling to make sure the proportions are correct.

Thanks so much again to Portia for inviting me to do this awesome project!

Wow! My very own namesake pattern! How cool is THAT! Thanks so much to Dixie for the incredible amount of work she has put into this project. Totally inspiring!
Guess what...we're STILL not done yet! More inspiration to come, so keep watching :)
Px

7 comments :

  1. Oh, I love a bit of animal print and I love this pattern. Thanks so much for making it available to us for free, I've already printed mine out...whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much excitement! I'm going to have to have a lie down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, and a brilliant way to make effective use of a piece of fabric you love, but don't have enough of to make a whole piece. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cool series! Very inspirational...I'll definitely be making my own Portia Top from Dixie's fab pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, pinned it, going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a genius idea to add the print to the front and back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks again portia! and if anyone has questions about the pattern you can leave a comment on my blog or shoot me an email - dixiedavis (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...

Blogging tips