Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Refashions: Silk Peplum Top & Skinnified Jeans

Just recently I've been returning to my refashioning roots. I picked up the outfit on the left for the grand total of £5.98 from a charity shop. A simple oversized black silk shirt, and some kinda frumpy jeans in a lovely berry purple colour. After I'd gone at them with some scissors and a sewing machine, I was left with the outfit you see on the right. I'm pleased with how striking the difference between the two outfits is. That's really what I wanted to show. How different frumpy charity shop finds can be with a few tweaks; and I think I've achieved that here. Although I'm not sure how much I'll wear the top in reality. It was an idea I wanted to try out, and I really like how it turned out. I'm just not convinced it's "me". Know what I mean?

 It all turned out pretty much as I had envisioned it; apart from the top having no sleeves. I had planned some slim elbow length sleeves. But the peplum section needed much more fabric than I had first thought. So I ended up using every useable scrap of fabric on that and had nothing left for the sleeves. (Actually, I think technically it's a "ruffle" disguised as a peplum! Aren't peplums cut as circular pieces?)

This top involved completely deconstructing the original shirt, re cutting the pieces and reconstructing it into it's new form. Excluding finishing techniques the main points are essentially as follows:


1) I cut off the sleeves and collar close to the seams.
2) I lopped (technical term that!) off the bottom section of the shirt at waist height, and set aside for later
3) Then seperated the front and back pieces, and recut the necklines and armholes
4) Sewed the whole thing back to front to create a button back bodice section, and made it much more fitted.
5) I created a long loop of fabric using fabric from the bottom section I'd lopped off earlier, and what I could harvest from the sleeves.
6) Gathered the loop of fabric and stitched to the waistline of the new bodice

The jeans were skinnified in my usual way, and I've worn them lots already. I am a fan of purple, it has to be said. Always puts me in mind of that fabulous poem  You know the one I mean...about wearing purple... ;)





15 comments :

  1. Oh you must wear it! You look fabulous in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so ingenious! The top is really cute, you never know you might surprise yourself and wear it more than you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry :) Maybe it will get an outing in the summer!
      Px

      Delete
  3. What a glorious transformation of outfit...you really are a genius Portia! I sincerely hope that you do end up wearing the 'rufflum' top, because it looks amazing on you...pretty please wear it! P.S. You are looking hotter by the post lady ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU're the genius Marie! RUFFLUM! I love it!
      Px

      Delete
  4. Great poem! I've not read that before. Yes, wear purple now!
    (And the peplum top...!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great isn't it! Love that poem :)
      Px

      Delete
  5. Wow Portia, that is an amazing transformation! It's kind of incredible seeing them next to one another. You're so clever with your refashioning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks amazing. you are so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, unbelievable that those are the same garments! I love the top and think you should wear it even if you don't think it's you. Plus it goes so well with your "new" jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the top is very nice on you. But I think the pants should be looser....to skim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing Portia. I especially love the peplum top. I did have a silk shirt that I have now refashioned into harem pants for the young one. Should have done this instead. oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done, Miss P. (Is the "P" for "Peplum"?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...

Blogging tips