Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Erm, ready for my close up.....!

Sooooo...this TV pilot has been taking up ALOT of my time over the past few weeks. Whilst I can tell you next to nothing about the detail of it; I thought you guys would get a kick out of seeing what goes on "behind the scenes" so to speak! I know I have been getting a huge kick out of being involved, and, even if ultimately nothing comes of this it's still been a fascinating insight into how much goes into making a seemingly straightforward format work on screen. I don't think I'll ever watch a TV programme in quite the same way again. Seriously peops, the HOURS of filming that go into even a small segment of TV is astonishing to me!

Sooo, let me talk you through what's going on here. We were filming a small segment at my brother's house. His lovely wife had organised an event to help me out. We started filming at around 1pm and finished around 6:30. After all that, the final segment will probably be around a minute!

That's Tim on the left. My lovely cameraman/sound man/director for the day. The other segments I've been involved in had a full crew but this guy was literally doing the work of 3 people. A-MA-ZING he was :) There he is setting up the shot. That big light in the middle is apparently called a "diva" light, which sent my sister in law and I into fits of laughter. (Hopefully because I'm the least diva like person she knows ;) There is a feed from the camera to the little monitor you can see on the right there. So when Tim is filming he can constantly monitor the actual footage as it will appear on screen....yep that's my hand on screen......

On the left is me getting "mic'd up". We had such a mare with the microphone which was supposed to clip onto my bra and sit nicely in my "valley" as Tim called it. Cue more hysterical laughter....Erm, I think he meant cleavage, lol! Some gaffer tape, lots of faffing and having a stranger peer down my top, and we were finally sorted! Center picture gives you a feel for the overall set up for this little show and tell sequence. As you can see from the monitors in the middle and left hand pics.....there is loads of mess everywhere but the camera tells a very different story. Zoomed in and close up shots give no hint of the relative chaos I'm sitting in....

The left hand picture is a case in point as to why I hate having my photo taken, lol! I must constantly pull goofy expressions when I'm talking! Gah, I can totally understand why media peops never want to watch themselves on camera. But again, just check out the relative chaos of the set up (cables trailing all over,tripods, lights and a table perched on a suitcase to get it to the right height  for the shot) compared to what you would eventually see on screen (visible on the monitor in all 3 pics)....

The magic of TV huh? How it makes everything look much more glossy than it actually is. Let's hope they can work their magic on my goofy expressions....;)



8 comments :

  1. it is so exciting to see that little glimpse of behind the scenes! not all that glam you would imagine, but not less exciting! make me even more curious to know what it is all about... crossing my fingers it all goes like you wish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am positively envious Portia - all my segments are shot as if live, even though they aren't, with no rehearsal, and I think it shows in the final product. This is going to be fab, I do hope it all catches on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting, Portia! Really hope it makes it to our screens! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. EXCITING!!! I can't wait to see it on TV - let's hope it takes off and we see a ton of sewing on our screens soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloody hell! That's all sooo interesting! Thanks heaps for the sneaky peak xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...

Blogging tips