Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Inspiration: Orla Keily Autumn 2013

Autumn 2013!!! For heavens sakes we're barely into Spring 2013 (not that you be able to tell by the weather) and already, a post about Autumn 2013?! What can I say, except I'm sorry!! Better to do it now than in the middle of the summer right? At least we can all still appreciate a nice warm coat right now!

There is a very good reason for it though, I promise. My Sewlution for 2013 is to draft a pattern for, and sew myself, a COAT! Aaargh! The prospect scares me slightly. But feel the fear and do it anyway, that's what I say! I've already begun the process of testing out a vintage dress pattern that I want to use as a base. I plan to test the fit and then adapt it (it's coat like in the sense that it's a wrap dress a size to big, which will hopefully allow for outerwear ease), changing details like the neckline, sleeve shape, length, adding pockets and a lining etc and came across this Orla Kiely collection

Anyhow, I've been browsing looking for detail inspiration, and I came across Orla Kiely's collection. How delicious?

All images courtesy of Orla Kiely via Calivintage

I'm leaning more towards the simplicity of the mustard one above left. That neckline would allow for a chunky knit cowl to sit nicely on colder days. But all of these coats are to die for aren't they?! What's more, there are any number of vintage patterns out there that would easily replicate these. The red one is particularly cute too....

Off the subject of coats, this mustard print tunic is more than a bit "me"; and I REALLY like the silhouette of this navy shell top with the elbow length sleeves and cute cuff detail...

While these silhouettes are not something I'd usually wear (apart from maybe the shirt with it's fab pleated collar), isn't that burnt out velvet just delicious?! And the silhouette of that dress bears more than a passing resemblance to the short sleeve version of the Elizalex dress, no? Handy that they just happen to be just starting a sewalong too!

Not that I'm endorsing ripping off a design before it's even hit the stores (cough) Merely offering up inspiration and food for thought.....!






5 comments :

  1. SWOON! OMG! love the ruffled collar.
    It's about 30 degrees here in Israel so it feels like we're in the middle of the summer. can't wait for this heat stroke to be over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Orla Kiely Collection !! Especially the navy top with the skirt :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all lovely! Fab inspiration post. Even the styling, hair etc is gorgeous (off to Pinterest now...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wandered into Orla Keily's shop myself the other day. Fell in love with everything. No wonder it inspires you. Also love your polka dot jeans. Roll on warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautiful. I love it all! I'm now going to look at Orla Keily's other seasons for spring inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you...

Blogging tips